Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research Paper 2018
Given annually since 2008 to recognize outstanding research and writing done by a current PhD candidate who has a manuscript accepted or published in a peer-reviewed journal. This year’s winner was acknowledged at the spring graduation ceremony and received a check for $3,000.
- ANNA M. BIRKENBACH (advisor Martin Smith)
“Catch Shares Slow the Race to Fish,” Nature, (Birkenbach, Kaczan, Smith, April 13, 2017)
PhD candidate, University Program in Environmental Policy (UPEP), Duke University
Forever Duke Student Leadership Award
Each year the Duke Alumni Association (DAA) recognizes graduating students (from any school or program) who embody the “Forever Duke” spirit in their service to the university. These students have gone above and beyond to give back to the Duke community during their time on campus.
- SYDNEY FISHMAN of Chicago, Ill, MEM
- LISA REMLINGER of Seattle, Wash., DEL-MEM
- ERIC SMITH of Oakland, Calif., MF/MBA
Marine Science + Conservation Award
Awarded annually to an outstanding student in recognition of excellence in scholarship, research and citizenship
- CLARA BIRD of Royal Oak, Mich.; BS, Environmental Sciences; B.S., Biology; Rachel Carson Scholar
Sara LaBoskey Award
Awarded annually in recognition of personal integrity and academic excellence.
- STEPHANIE VON UNGERN STERNBERG PRUFER of São Paulo, Brazil; BA, Environmental Sciences & Policy, Graduation with Distinction; BS, Biology; Rachel Carson Scholar
Thomas V. Laska Memorial Award
Awarded annually in recognition of most outstanding achievement in the earth and ocean sciences
- LUCILA HOUTTUIJN BLOEMENDAAL of Houston, Texas; BS, Earth & Ocean Sciences, Graduation with Distinction
Virlis L. Fischer Award
Goes to the graduating professional degree student with the highest academic achievement. Given by Bernice Fisher in memory of her husband.
- SYDNEY NICOLE FISHMAN of Chicago, Ill., MEM, Coastal Environmental Management
- GREGORY HAYDEN GAUSEWITZ of Seattle, Wash., DEL-MEM